Monday, November 28, 2005

On my way

On the train!!!! Turk gave me a ride to the West Palm Beach Amtrak station this morning. We got there about 45 minutes before my train left, so I had some time. I ended up just sitting on the platform. While I was sitting there a Haitian cab driver came over and “talked” to me. I say “talked” cause he didn't speak or understand much English and I don't know what the official language of Haiti is, but I can't speak it. He also spoke French very well, or at least that's what I gathered. However, as I explained in an earlier post, I also don't speak that. So, it wasn't really a conversation so much as him trying really hard to keep my attention, but failing miserably. I have a hard time staying focused on someone that I can't understand. He was also wierding me out a bit, but I think he was harmless.

The Silver Star train that I'm on is not the most hi-tech. There is one plug on the entire train that I've found so far. It's in the Lounge car, so obviously that's where I am now. My battery will only last so long, especially with Itunes running, so I'm going to hang out here for now. I think I might look into getting a sleeping car for the night. The train is relatively crowded and I got an assigned seat next to some old man from New York who seems to have some kind of foreign accent. Not that I have anything against him for any of that, but he's also one of those old people who will sit there for a while and then all of a sudden start talking to you while you are in the middle of a sentence of a perfectly good magazine article. Then whatever he's saying he invariably loses his train of thought halfway through and trails off, so you go back to your magazine article, and then five minutes later the train of thought comes back and he picks up right where he trailed off. It's very frustrating when you just want a peaceful train ride. Anyway, so yeah, that may lead to an investigation into the cost of upgrading to a sleeping car.

That's all I've got for now. I'll update more later.

No comments: